The Heritage Dissertation Research Awards program is a competition for dissertation research funding. The purpose of these awards is to assist doctoral students in personality and social psychology with research costs associated with their doctoral dissertations. The Foundation for Personality and Social Psychology intends to award 6 grants of $2,000 each. At least two grants will be in personality psychology and at least two grants will be in social psychology.The intent of the Foundation is to increase the number of awards in the future as additional funds become available.
The Heritage Initiative celebrates personality and social psychology's heritage by honoring some of the great teachers and scientists who have made major contributions to field. In doing so, the Initiative is aimed at ensuring the field’s future by assisting its next generation of scholars. The Heritage Dissertation Research Awards are the direct result of funds raised in honor of our fields’ luminaries. Applicants are asked to indicate in their applications to which of the Heritage honorees their work best links. For more information on the Heritage Fund and current honorees, please go to http://spsp.org/about/foundation/heritage-wall-of-fame
1. Applicants must be graduate students in personality and/or social psychology in good standing with their university. Applicants must be enrolled full-time (or working on their dissertation research for an equivalent of full-time enrollment regardless of actual registration status).
2. Applicants must be student members of the Society for Personality and Social Psychology at the time they apply for the award.
3. Applicants must have had their dissertation proposals approved by their dissertation committees prior to application.
4. Each department may endorse no more than two (2) students per year for the Heritage Dissertation Research Award. If more than two students from a department wish to apply for these funds, the department should perform an initial screening and choose only two applications for submission.
5. Applicants must not have previously received a Heritage Dissertation Research Award.
6. The dissertation research may be in any area of social or personality psychology.
Applicants will submit the following to apply for the Heritage Dissertation Award:
- 2 page abstract of dissertation proposal. Because priority will go to projects that are in the tradition of one of the Heritage Awardees, defined very broadly, your abstract should briefly indicate the name of the Heritage nominee that your work follows.
- 1 paragraph describing the use of funds if awarded
- A current CV
A letter of recommendation from the applicant’s academic advisor is required to complete the application process. Please note that this letter has a maximum length of (1) page, single-spaced. Please communicate to the faculty member who will write your recommendation letter the importance of adhering to this maximum page limit. In addition, please do not submit more than one letter of recommendation; only one will be forwarded for review. The letter writer will submit his/her letter on-line.
Applications (including letters of recommendation) should be received no later than June 1, 2019
More information is available on our website. Contact email@example.com with any questions.