The SPSP Fellowship Committee is currently
accepting nominations for APA Division 8 Fellows who are currently Fellows in another APA division.
To be considered as a Division 8 Fellow, you must:
- Have a doctoral degree.
- Be an APA Division 8 member in good standing.
- Be a current Fellow of another APA division.
- Have five years of postdoctoral experience.
- Have made an extraordinary and distinctive contribution to the science of Personality and Social Psychology. Criteria that will be considered include scientific contributions, service to the field, and awards and recognition:
- Scientific Contributions: The committee will consider a candidate’s publication record (e.g., peer-reviewed journal articles, book chapters, books, and edited volumes) and the impact of the candidate’s work on the field (e.g., citation counts, transformative or highly generative works, influence on public policy, extraordinary performance in student supervision).
- Service to the Field: The committee will consider service contributions to professional organizations, scientific conferences, grant panels, journal editorial boards, task-forces, outreach activities, scientific blogs, contributions to academic centers or consortia, etc.
- Awards & Recognitions: As additional evidence for scientific impact and service to the field, the committee may consider previous awards and recognitions for research and service.
SPSP seeks to provide small grants to support personality and social psychological research at all levels, including conference support. Conference support is intended to assist SPSP members in their efforts to develop and host successful conferences. Conference support is not to be used for individuals to attend existing conferences or to support preconferences at the SPSP Convention.
Two categories of support are available:
1) Up to $5000 - Applicable to smaller meetings or meetings jointly funded by a number of organizations or entities
2) $5001 to $10,000 - Applicable to meetings mostly or solely funded through the current SPSP mechanism
In both cases, conference funding must support a cadre of SPSP members or benefit SPSP directly (including outreach to new groups). Preference will be given to support of developing new Communities or building Communities within SPSP, though support would not be limited to these groups. Larger budgets require greater benefit for SPSP members (not longer justifications in the application). Thus, for example, 10 researchers getting together after an existing conference to discuss one topic would need less than the development of a 100-person conference designed to bring together 3 distinct areas and produce a new book of import.
DISCLAIMER ON USE OF FUNDS
Funds will be made available in one of two ways:
1) Directly payable to another hosting/sponsoring entity OR the recipient’s university. If this method is chosen, a W9 from the payee will be required. Under this arrangement, SPSP is a sponsor and will not be legally or financially responsible for the conference and no contract should be signed under the auspice of SPSP, Inc.
2) Funds hosted at SPSP. If this method is chosen, SPSP will be the host of the conference and will assume contractual responsibility, including financial, legal and tax responsibility. Organizers will maintain control of the program content and will work with SPSP staff on budgets/contracts.
In either payment scenario, if the conference does not occur within 12 months, the funds must be returned to SPSP. Recipients of the grant must provide a post-event final report summarizing the event and its outcomes.
HOW TO APPLY
Applications are accepted from full members of SPSP (those with doctorates in psychology). Applications are accepted twice annually:
- April 1 – July 1, to be awarded in August (for conferences held between September and August of the following year)
- October 1 – December 1, to be awarded in January (for conferences held between February and January of the following year)
application will be evaluated based on its unique scientific merit, and SPSP
encourages submitters to consider
diversity in attendees and speakers when organizing a conference. Diversity
includes gender, sexual orientation, ethnicity and race, disability, career
level, and more. It is strongly recommended that you include a list of proposed
and/or confirmed speakers. SPSP also encourages collaboration with other
organizations, including programmatic and financial collaborations.
Students will be selected on the basis of academic merit, promise as a researcher, and diversity, which includes gender, race/ethnicity, year in graduate school, area of interest and graduate program.
Students from the following categories are eligible to participate in SISPP:
- U.S./Canadian graduate students. Students enrolled in psychology graduate programs in the U.S. and Canada, who are SPSP members and who are enrolled in their second through fifth years of graduate study at the time of application are eligible. First-year graduate students are not eligible.
- Graduate students from outside the United States and Canada enrolled in social-personality-related graduate programs in countries that are not currently included in inter-organizational SISPP exchange programs (that is, countries covered by EASP and SASP). Students accepted for these slots will receive up to $750 in travel funds and a registration waiver. Scholarship funds will be available to help with travel expenses for these students.
- Postgraduate EASP members. These students will be selected and financially supported by the European Association of Social Psychologists. EASP postgraduate members should not apply through the SPSP portal. Instead, they should apply through the EASP website ( https://www.easp.eu/events/summer-schools). SPSP will accept five EASP postgraduate members, who will be selected by the EASP.
- Postgraduate SASP members. These students will be selected and financially supported by the Society of Australasian Social Psychologists. More information is available directly from SASP. More information is available directly from SASP (do not complete the application below).